Endometriosis, Don't Suffer In Silence
What Is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a chronic inflammatory condition where tissue, similar to the tissue that normally grows inside the uterus, grows outside of the uterus. It can cause such debilitating pain around the pelvis, abdomen and back areas, that the individual cannot get out of bed.
- 1 in 10 women will have Endometriosis
- Endometriosis symptoms may appear before the first menstrual period & persist into menopause.
- It can cause minor bleeding, cysts and scarring inside your tummy
- Having Endometriosis can affect your ability to get pregnant
- Endometriosis is difficult to diagnose as it presents symptoms differently to each individual
Endometriosis Myths & Misconceptions
- Endometriosis is just a bad period pain
- Wearing tampons causes Endometriosis
- Pregnancy is a cure for Endometriosis
- A hysterectomy is the only way to cure Endometriosis
- Ovaries that contain endometriosis should always be removed
Symptoms Of Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is difficult to diagnose, since other medical conditions, like irritable bowel syndrome can give similar symptoms. The most typical symptoms of Endometriosis are listed below:-
- Severe pelvic, abdomen, back or leg pain, not associated with normal periods
- Pain during sex
- Pain passing urine or stools
- Irregular and / or heavy periods
- Stools that contain blood
- Tiredness and lethargy
If you are experiencing one or more of the symptoms above and are in constant pain that interferes with your daily routine, speak to your doctor, who may refer you to a specialist. You can also make an appointment to see Mr. Mahran, a specialist Endometriosis consultant at the BMI, Manor Hospital, Bedford.
Mr. Mahran Credentials
Mr Mahran was appointed as a consultant at Bedford Hospital in 2013 where he has developed minimal access surgery techniques. Mr Mahran is the lead for laparoscopic surgery at Bedford Hospital and has established an excellent team to deliver advanced laparoscopic surgery to women.
Mr. Mahran is an active member of BSGE (British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy) is trained in advanced laparoscopic surgery including endometriosis surgery and has received special training at endometriosis centres in London.
Mr. Mahran also acts as a mentor to other consultants learning these new techniques, through his own advanced laparoscopic workshops.